On the hunt for your cat’s heritage?
We found the best cat DNA test that will tell you all about your furball’s genetic profile! Keep reading to learn more!
A Short Overview of Best Feline DNA Testing KitsPetpedia is reader-supported. We may earn a commission from Amazon or other partners when you make a purchase through one of the links on our site. Read our full Affiliate Disclosure.
- Easy sample collection
- Biggest database
- In-depth, user-friendly report
- Free shipping and return shipping
Best Health Test
- A lot of test options (both basic and comprehensive)
- Easy-to-read, informative report
- Designed explicitly for breeders, vets, and pet owners
- A chance to connect with a vet for a consultation
Best for Breeders
- Breeder tool matching your feline with potential mates
- Reputable company with years of experience
- One of the rare tests that checks blood type
- A simple tool that shows you all the info on a breed (no test needed)
Best Test Variety
- Easy at-home sample collection
- Fast and reliable cat DNA test results
- A reputable company with over 35 offices worldwide
- Full genetic tests
What Is the Top Cat DNA Test and Where to Buy It
Now that we’ve had a glance at the available DNA tests for cats, let’s dig deeper and find out more about what they offer.
- Tests offered: Breed, Health, Genome sequencing, Dental, Ancestry
- Turnaround time: 4–6 weeks
- Sample report: Available
- Updates: Continuous and free
We found that among the best on the market at the moment is Basepaws. A trusted company across the board, it’s the go-to option for most cat owners.
Here are the main features these tests offer:
- Breed—The test shows how genetically similar your cat is to 21 of their registered breeds, divided into four major categories. It also includes the polycat, Basepaws’ equivalent of a mixed breed.
- Health—Basepaws carries out 17 tests for genetic diseases that encompass 70 health markers. Besides detailed results and risk indicators, the report includes a brief description of each condition and tips on how to best care for your cat.
- Trait analysis—The test also offers insight into 20 different traits unique to your cat that incorporate 50 different markers.
- Wildcat index—These DNA kits for cats are the only ones that test your feline’s relation to its wild cat ancestors. The results will show how closely related your Fluffy is to four big cats compared to all other domestic cat samples in the database.
To get all this info, you just need to take a sample from your cat’s inner cheeks and send it to the company. The procedure is effortless and non-invasive. You can find it explained in detail on the kit and in a video on the official website.
Basepaws’ results are easy to read and interpret, but if you’re having issues, the company provides a free consultation with a vet who will talk you through them.
Last but not least, Basepaws continuously updates your feline’s report and plans to develop a technology that will tell you more about your pet’s closest sibling and relative matches.
- + Easy sample collection
- + Biggest database
- + In-depth, user-friendly report
- + Free shipping and return shipping
- − Long turnaround times
Best Health Test
- Tests offered: A variety of full-profile and single assay tests (health, parentage, physical traits)
- Turnaround time: 2–3 weeks
- Sample report: Available
- Updates: N/A
This particular genetic testing kit for cats was designed for breeders, vets, and pet owners. Users can choose between a more comprehensive or a basic test (with add-on options for an extra fee).
One of the widest-range tests they provide is the Feline Extensive Genetic Profile test.
- screens for the most common genetic diseases show potential health risks, taking into account the cat’s breed, age, weight, sex, and lifestyle;
- reveals cats’ genetic traits, such as coat color and patterns;
- provides a complete DNA profile. It isn’t a cat breed identification test but instead tracks your cat’s parentage.
Orivet’s interactive live online report includes the basic test results and provides more detail on the most common hereditary feline diseases. On top of that, it includes Health Reminders and Alerts (routine health reminders and owner-initiated reminders).
Even though Orivet’s DNA testing kits are simple and easy to use, the company still recommends that a professional collects the sample to avoid potential contamination.
The company also recommends registering an account before ordering the test to ensure maximum privacy protection and security.
Brand’s genetic pet care includes a one-of-a-kind Life Plan, which includes tracking your furball from kittenhood to adulthood and old age, thus ensuring that you give it the best possible care.
The main drawback is that it’s only suitable for purebred cats.
Other than that, there is no reason why you shouldn’t give this feline genetic test a shot.
- + A lot of test options (both basic and comprehensive)
- + Easy-to-read, informative report
- + Designed explicitly for breeders, vets, and pet owners
- + A chance to connect with a vet for a consultation
- − The breed must be known before testing
Best for Breeders
- Tests offered: Feline genetic breeding anaFeline genetic breeding analysis (health, traits, blood type)lysis
- Turnaround time: 4 weeks
- Sample report: Available
- Updates: Continuous
Optimal Selection is another comprehensive and extensive test of your cat’s DNA. However, it’s solely intended for purebred cats, which might be its biggest flaw.
Optimal Selection tests:
- Physical traits, such as your feline’s body size and shape, coat color, and pattern;
- Genetic diversity and relationships, including your cat’s diversity and the diversity of the breed population and related-breed groups;
- For 40 genetic diseases, which are only listed on the report if verified as a potential risk. This cat DNA test kit is one of the rare ones that checks your cat’s blood type.
This test’s unique feature is the easy-access Breeder tool that matches owners and breeders with potential mates. It also provides data on their genetic results and the estimated genetic diversity of the kittens.
Collecting a sample from your cat with Optimal Selection is incredibly easy. The kit, which comes with two cotton swabs, is activated online, and the samples are sent afterward.
Results are only accessible through a private account, which is more secure and offers better protection of your private data.
The Optimal Selection’s report is pretty extensive; it’s downloadable and transferable to a new owner but not very easy to read and interpret.
The only fault with this test is that it’s not a cat DNA test made to determine breed, so it can’t tell you where your alley cat came from.
However, it does help cat breeders breed out inherited diseases in new litters, increase litter sizes, and find potential mates for felines.
- + Breeder tool matching your feline with potential mates
- + Reputable company with years of experience
- + One of the rare tests that checks blood type
- + A simple tool that shows you all the info on a breed (no test needed)
- − Only for pedigree cats
Best Test Variety
- Tests offered: Feline PKD, Cat Intolerance, Cat Genetics DNA Test
- Turnaround time: 10 days
- Sample report: Not provided
- Updates: N/A
EasyDNA Feline PKD Test is the most reliable feline DNA test for polycystic kidney disease. As with most of the best DNA test kits out there, getting started is not complicated. All you need to do is collect a sample by swabbing the inside of your cat’s cheeks. Then send the dried cotton swabs back, and you’ll get results in less than two weeks.
EasyDNA doesn’t provide a sample report, but it does have a live chat on the site with a DNA consultant to help you understand your results. Our EasyDNA reviews found this feature to be quite helpful and informative.
Besides the PKD test, EasyDNA also tests for cat intolerances. The lab runs tests for 44 food and 29 non-food items that might trigger a reaction and endanger your cat’s health and wellbeing. This test costs $89, but if you order a combination of more than one test, you can get it with a $10 discount.
For more curious cat fanciers, this company plans to include a Cat Genetics DNA Test in its portfolio, making its offers even more inclusive and comprehensive.
- + Easy at-home sample collection
- + Fast and reliable cat DNA test results
- + A reputable company with over 35 offices worldwide
- + Full genetic tests
- − Only tests for PKD
Most Advanced Testing Procedure
- Tests offered: PKD (Polycystic Kidney Disease)
- Turnaround time: 10 days
- Sample report: NA
- Updates: NA
DDC only has one test for felines—a highly reliable and accurate PKD test to discover how likely your kitty is to develop this lethal disease.
The biggest downside of this brand is the limited range of the test. It’s only available for Persians, Himalayans, Exotics, and cross-breeds of these three (most likely breeds to develop this condition).
Sample collection is straightforward and done with cheek swabs. In addition to the in-mail collection kit the company sends, pet owners can make their own collection at home (detailed instructions are available on the official site).
Results are fast and easy to read, while DDC provides a free consultation for more details on PKD and your kitty’s report.
DDC DNA Diagnostics Center is a world-renowned genetic testing company with years of experience, high-tech equipment, and professional expertise in human and animal genotype testing. Yet, their cat DNA test is actually cheap—notably, it’s less expensive than any other kit on our list.
Although it currently only provides one feline test, it’s only a matter of time before it develops more insightful and broader testing into cat genetics.
- + Fast and accurate results
- + Free professional consultations
- + Two sample collection options (DTC Kit and DIY Kit)
- + Advanced testing facilities
- − Only available for Persian and Persian-derived cats
How to Choose the Best At-Home DNA Test Kit for Felines
Cat DNA testing is still a young niche. However, there are some standard aspects to consider when selecting the appropriate product.
How did we separate the good from the best?
We looked at the essential qualities of a high-grade testing kit and ranked the companies accordingly.
Type of Tests
Different companies cover different types of testing. Some have combined testing for parentage and health issues, while others may only test to find out what breed your cat is without any additional information.
Overall, we looked for tests that cover at least one or several of the following:
- Testing for breed,
- Testing for hereditary diseases,
- Testing for physical and personality traits,
- Testing for ancestry.
Some cat parents are more interested in potential hereditary health issues they should prepare for in the future. In contrast, others would like to learn more about their cat’s breed and traits. Once you know what you want to learn, you can better determine exactly what test would be most suitable for you.
The accuracy of the cat breed DNA test (or traits or health test) depends first and foremost on the quality of the sample provided and the extensiveness of the database the company uses as a reference. Simply put, the more extensive the database, the more accurate the test results will be.
DNA tests don’t come cheap, so we ranked companies that offered the best value for money higher on the list. Some tests are just a fun way to get closer to your cat and learn more about it, while others are crucial for breeders. This, of course, affects the price dramatically.
Test results should be available in an easy-to-comprehend format. After all, genetic markers mean nothing to us mere mortals unless they are presented in a readable and user-friendly report. To that end, we gave higher marks to companies that considered this aspect.
It’s also essential that these testing companies provide a sample report on the site to give potential clients an idea of the final results.
Customer Service and Support
Reading the test results all by yourself may not give you the complete picture of your cat’s DNA. That’s why we reserved a place higher on the list for companies that offer additional services, such as vet consultations, 24/7 user support, and fast and reliable customer service.
Tests take around 4–6 weeks to complete. Results from full feline DNA tests usually take longer than specific testing.
Delivery time may not be the most critical factor, but it’s still worth considering. No one likes to wait around for test results, so the faster they arrive, the better.
Privacy and Security
All reputable DNA cat testing companies should provide 100% protection of their client’s personal information (feline and human). Therefore, we pushed brands with extensive security and privacy measures higher on the list.
Reputation, Experience, and Lab Equipment
These are all factors that come high in our ranking list. Selecting a reputable and long-standing company in the industry is vital.
- Does the company use state-of-the-art equipment?
- Does it carry out the tests in its own laboratory?
- How long has the company been in business?
These are some of the questions we asked when deciding on the DNA testing companies we’ve selected.
Are all features in one test, or are there separate tests for each?
This depends on the client’s needs when ordering a feline DNA test. On the one hand, if you are a breeder, there are specific traits you will be interested in, such as blood type and heritage.
On the other hand, cat owners would be most interested in a cat breed test and might not see the need to pay extra for extensive tests.
Since it ultimately depends on what you’re looking to get out of the test, deciding between a specific or more comprehensive one is up to you. To help you out, we listed all the tests the company provides, but the variety of tests on offer did not affect our judgment.
The chance to get continuous updates on your results as the company increases its database is another perk offered by the best DNA testing companies. If a relative of your cat is tested further down the line and a hereditary connection is made, you will be notified.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are cat DNA tests accurate?
As with any test, there is a certain margin of error. However, the evolution of cats varies significantly from that of humans and the history of dogs, so using DNA tests to track your feline’s ancestry is more reliable.
How much does it cost to DNA test a cat?
Depending on which brand and test type you choose, it can cost from $48 to over $100.
How old should a cat be to get DNA tested?
There’s no age limit when it comes to genetic testing. However, if you want to submit samples from a nursing kitten, researchers request that you wait at least an hour after nursing.
Where can you get DNA tests for cats?
In addition to contacting the company directly, you can also find a great cat DNA test on Amazon.
Curiosity killed the cat, but your curiosity about your pet might just save its life. We’ve given you all the info you’ll need to choose the best cat DNA test for your needs.
All that’s left for you is to get the results, learn more about your beloved furball, and form an even deeper bond.