April 22nd is an important and exceptional day for everyone. It’s Earth Day!
Did you know that the US produces three times the worldwide average of waste? With such an alarming statistic, we must be mindful of the damage we cause to our planet.
Earth Day’s history goes back to 1970, when it was first celebrated. The purpose of honoring this day was to come together and raise awareness of environmental issues. Since then, communities have planned and organized different ways of cleaning and saving our planet.
Every year, Earth Day has a different theme, and this year’s is “Restore Our Earth.” By learning more about green technologies and natural processes, we can explore numerous ways to repair our ecosystem.
So, what are some ways you can help restore our planet?
- Pick up any litter you come across while doing outdoor activities
- Change your bills to online payments instead of paper statements
- Lower your consumption of meat at least once a week
- Turn off lights when you leave a room, and be mindful of your electricity usage
- Ride a bicycle more frequently than driving a car
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs to decrease greenhouse gas emissions
Are you interested in being part of any Earth Day events? Further below, we’ll go over a few options for you.
- National Geographic Virtual Celebration
- Join the Global Earth Challenge
- Participate in the Great Global Cleanup
- Join Foodprints for the Future
Even though it’s estimated that 94% of Americans support recycling, we are still a long way from doing the best we can to save our planet. So this year, on April 22nd, let’s all get together and reduce, reuse, and recycle!