When it comes to cannabinoids and young pups, the big question is: at what age can you give a puppy CBD?
CBD has become a popular treatment for all sorts of medical conditions in both people and pets. Read on for more information about the possible effects of giving puppies CBD products and the best time to do it.
What Age Can You Give a Puppy CBD
Can you even give puppies CBD? Yes, CBD is a popular natural remedy for many ailments and can support your furry friend’s overall health. CBD is available in various forms fitting for dogs, including oils and CBD treats. But how old does a puppy need to be before taking any of these products?
The short answer is that puppies can start taking CBD as early as eight weeks old. Getting the correct puppy-sized dosage isn’t always straightforward–-if this is your first time distributing it, the general rule is to start with a low dose and gradually increase it if needed. For example, you might start with lighter doses for a small puppy and increase slightly every week until you reach the desired effect.
Positive Effects of CBD on Puppies
As with any new supplement or medication, it’s always best to speak with your veterinarian before giving CBD to your pup. They will be able to help you determine the correct dosage and monitor for any potential side effects.
Generally speaking, however, CBD is considered safe for dogs and puppies because it comes with a lot of health benefits. In fact, many pet owners are turning to CBD as an alternative to traditional medications with fewer side effects to boost their immunity and improve their overall well-being.
CBD is mostly used for puppies to help them with sleep. anxiety, chewing, biting, barking, and inflammation. It can also help with seizure control and appetite stimulation. As such, it may be beneficial for puppies experiencing allergies, hyperactivity, aggression, separation anxiety, teething discomfort, or other forms of pain.
CBD can be especially helpful for a puppy that’s teething. Cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which can help soothe swollen gums and alleviate pain. It’s also beneficial for puppies with food allergies, irregular sleep schedules, or nervous system problems.
If you’re considering giving CBD tincture to your puppy, be sure to purchase a high-quality product from a reputable source.
Side Effects of CBD on Puppies
As with anything else good in life, moderation is key when it comes to CBD. Side effects are not a common occurrence when using CBD, but they are possible. Here are some of them:
- Dry mouth: Research has shown that CBD supplements can decrease saliva production. For puppies, this could mean an increase in thirst.
- Low blood pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. This may make your canine feel dizzy or lightheaded.
- Drowsiness: While CBD is not known to be a sedative, some puppies may experience drowsiness after taking it. If your pup does experience drowsiness, do not let them operate any heavy machinery or go for a run. Just kidding about the heavy machinery part, but seriously, let them rest and relax.
- Upset stomach: A small percentage of puppies with sensitive stomachs might face problems when taking CBD. This is usually the result of the product being given on an empty stomach. If your pup’s stomach upsets after taking CBD, try giving it with food the next time.
- Changes in appetite: Cannabinoids is a compound used to help reduce the appetite in canines. When digested, it triggers the “jump-start” of the endocannabinoid system. This system is responsible for controlling the appetite. CBD also affects the receptors by regulating neural transmissions.
- Diarrhea: A few pups may experience diarrhea after taking CBD. Again, this is usually the result of the supplement being given on an empty stomach. If your puppy gets diarrhea after taking CBD, try giving it to him with food the next time.
These are just some of the possible side effects of CBD in puppies; just like with any medication, moderation is key. If you regulate the proper dose, your canine should enjoy all the benefits of CBD without any drawbacks.
What Is the Proper CBD Dosage for Puppies
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of what the proper CBD dosage for puppies is. The right amount of CBD to give your pup will depend on various factors, including age, weight, and overall health. Below is a table that provides general guidelines for CBD dosage based on these three factors.
|10||1 mg||2 mg||3 mg|
|20||2 mg||4 mg||6 mg|
|30||3 mg||6 mg||9 mg|
|40||4 mg||8 mg||12 mg|
|50||5 mg||10 mg||15 mg|
|60||6 mg||12 mg||18 mg|
|70||7 mg||14 mg||21 mg|
|80||8 mg||16 mg||24 mg|
|90||9 mg||18 mg||27 mg|
|100||10 mg||20 mg||30 mg|
|110||11 mg||22 mg||33 mg|
|120||12 mg||24 mg||36 mg|
|130||13 mg||26 mg||39 mg|
|140||14 mg||28 mg||41 mg|
So, at what age can you give a puppy CBD? The answer is eight weeks old.
Remember, not all puppies will respond the same way to CBD. Some may feel more relaxed and calm after taking it, while others may not notice much difference. But with little-known side effects and plenty of potential health benefits, it’s worth trying out if you think CBD could help your pup feel better.